Recipe of the Month: Shaun Rankin at Ormer's Roast Curried Jersey Scallops with Cauliflower Granola
Shaun Rankin from the acclaimed new Ormer restaurant in Jersey shares a recipe for one of his most popular starter dishes; roast curried scallops with cauliflower granola, apple and caramel salad. Intrigued? Read on...
Roast Curried Jersey Scallops with Cauliflower Granola,
Apple & Caramel Salad
Make: Cauliflower Purée
300g cauliflower, sliced
75g butter, unsalted
• Melt butter in heavy based pan and add the cauliflower
• Sweat with lid on until almost cooked but with no colour
• Remove from the heat and add the milk
• Blend and season to taste
Make: Cauliflower & Coriander
100g butter, unsalted
20g coriander, picked
• Take florets from cauliflower and pulse in a food processer into small pieces
• Melt butter and water in a pan to make an emulsion
• Add cauliflower and cook until al dente, strain and reserve the liquid
• When ready to use heat up cauliflower in a little of the reserved liquid
• Drain, season to taste and finish with chopped coriander
Make: Apple Caramel
1ltr of apple juice
• Reduce 1ltr of apple juice to 140ml
• Store in a container until needed.
Make: Curry Salt Scallops
20g curry powder
12 large Jersey scallops, trimmed and cleaned
• Mix together the curry and salt until well incorporated
• Season the top of the scallop with the salt and shake off any excess
Make: Curry Granola
120g bitter almonds
60g butter, unsalted
2 tbsp glucose syrup
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp salt
½ tsp curry powder
2 tsp dried onion
½ tsp lemon thyme
½ tsp Maldon sea salt
• Toast the almonds at 180c oven for a few minutes. Cool and grind in a food processer.
• In a medium pan combine the sugar, butter, glucose and cook, stirring, until you get a dark caramel.
• Add baking soda until bubbly. Then add the salt and peanuts and cook for 2 minutes.
• Pour onto a baking mat and leave to cool. Once cooled, grind in a food processer.
• Mix 235g of the brittle mix with the other ingredients.
• Store in an airtight container.
Shaun Rankin and his team at work in the kitchen
Make: Curried Raisins
1 tsp pomice oil
355g granny smith apple, sliced
60g shallots, sliced
1tsp curry powder
1 star anise
10 black peppercorns
80ml white port
1 kaffir lime leaf
80g golden raisins
• In a medium pan add the oil. Sweat the apple and shallots until translucent.
• Add the curry powder, star anise and peppercorns and cook for 1 minute with the apples and shallots.
• Deglaze the pan with the port until almost all is gone. Add 470ml water and the lime leaves and bring to the boil.
• Remove from the heat and leave for 10 minutes to cool before adding the salt.
• Strain the liquid and pour over the raisins.
• Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
1 Granny Smith apple, freshly cut into thin batons
• Pre heat an oiled frying pan.
• Place the large Jersey scallops seasoned side down into the frying pan and leave for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
• Place the warmed cauliflower pieces on the plate, along with the cauliflower purée.
• Turn the scallops in the pan and reduce the heat. When cooked (should take a few minutes maximum) place the scallops on top of the cauliflower.
• Place strips of fresh apple, curried raisins, granola and the sea purslane on top.
Serve and enjoy! You can read more about Shaun Rankin at Ormer here. If you'd like to book at table and enjoy this dish for yourself, visit their website: www.ormerjersey.com or call: +44 (0)1534 725100