L’Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa brews some special recipes to celebrate UK Coffee Week
This week, L’Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa is suggesting that we change our regular coffee break and celebrate UK coffee week with some great coffee inspired drinks and dishes.
The team at the AA Four Red Star hotel in St Brelade have brewed up some amazing recipes from decadent coffee cocktails to flavoursome ribs marinated in coffee.
UK Coffee Week is the nation’s largest celebration of coffee as well as a fundraising campaign with Project Waterfall, an initiative bringing clean water and sanitation to coffee-growing communities around the world.
Baileys Flat White Martini
- 50ml Baileys Original Irish Cream Liqueur
- 25ml Vodka
- 25ml Espresso
1. Fill a shaker with ice.
2. Pour Baileys, espresso and vodka into the shaker.
3. Shake until cold.
4. Strain into a Martini glass
Coffee Old Fashioned
- 25ml Bourbon
- 2 dashes of chocolate bitters
- 45ml cold brewed coffee
- 25ml crème de cacao
- 10ml sugar syrup
1. Combine the chocolate bitters, syrup, crème de cacao and bourbon in a shaker.
2. Add ice and shake for 10 seconds.
3. Strain into a short glass.
Traditional Espresso Martini
- 25ml vodka
- 25ml Kahlua
- 15ml sugar syrup
- 25ml espresso
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. Shake with ice until cold.
3. Serve in a Martini glass and garnish with three coffee beans.
BBQ Chipotle & coffee marinated short ribs
- 1 rack of beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp of coffee beans
- 5 dried chipotle chillies
- 1 tbsp of dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Add the coffee beans, chillies and cumin seeds to the blende and pulse until you have a medium to coarse spice rub consistency.
2. Rub the paste all over the ribs and leave to marinate for 24 hours (this is an important length of time, do not reduce it because it will affect the final texture and moisture of meat).
3. When ready to cook, remove the tough membrane from the ribs (the meat side, not the bone side), and cook at around 105°C on offset heat in a barbecue or smoker. The length of time will depend on the thickness of the ribs, and could take 5–8 hours.
Serve with your choice of sides. Our Executive Head Chef, Andrew Soddy recommends serving with garlic mashed potato, charred corn and wilted rainbow chard.
Moketo Italian espresso mousse
- 4 large free range eggs, separated
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 4 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules, mixed with 2 tbsp hot water to make a paste
- 3 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 110ml hot water
- 220ml whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- 6 tbsp double cream
- Chocolate sprinkles
1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until light and creamy. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they are stiff.
2. Remove the gelatine leaves from the water and squeeze out any excess moisture, then add to a bowl along with the coffee, coffee liqueur and the hot water. Mix well until the gelatine has dissolved completely.
3. Combine the coffee mixture with the egg yolks, fold in the beaten egg whites and whipped cream, alternating between the two, using a large metal spoon to gently fold them in together.
4. Spoon the mousse into small glass bowls and allow to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Top with double cream and chocolate sprinkles to serve.
Serve with Classic Herd chocolate ice cream and Moketo gel.