Winter in Jersey: six ways to make the most of the season
Bracing winter beach walks, cosy country pubs, and as much fresh sea air as you can handle. And did we mention a choice of luxury spas to escape to when the weather gets too much? Jersey's not just a summer destination. At this time of year, the island has its own magical appeal, making it perfect when you want to get away from it all for the weekend.
Here are six suggestions for enjoying Jersey in the autumn and winter months:
- Escape to a spa. From Ayurvedic retreats to contemporary boutique spas with the latest treatments, hide away from the wintry weather and spend a guilt-free afternoon in one of our spas. It's the best way to see off the winter blues, and leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed.
- Visit Durrell, Jersey's wildlife park and home of the late Gerald Durrell. Quieter out of season, you'll have time to explore the 30 acres of landscaped parkland and meet endangered species up close from gorillas to the rare golden lion tamarin.
- Explore our beaches. The winter light turns our coastline into a dramatic backdrop of sea, sky and shoreline with amazing sunsets and sunrises. Enjoy the views - more often than not you'll have the beach to yourself - and don't forget your camera.
- There's nothing better to finish off a walk along our cliff paths or country lanes than a pint or two in a pub. From historic pubs close to the beach like Portelet Inn and The Old Smugglers Inn to local favourites out in the country like St Mary's Country Inn, Jersey's got plenty to choose from. Find a spot close to the fire, and enjoy the atmosphere.
- It's not hard to spend a few hours exploring St Helier's shopping streets. From independent boutiques to everything-under-one-roof stores, our Victorian Central Market, and the Liberty Wharf undercover shopping centre, everything's within easy reach. Pop into a cafe, stop for lunch and just enjoy our laid-back continental vibe.
- Jersey's beach cafés are legendary - each with their own particular atmosphere, they all share amazing sea views. Grab a window seat and a hot chocolate - topped with Jersey cream of course - and watch the surfers, kite surfers and blokarters make the most of the elements.