This cobbled, pedestrianised street is the heart of St Helier and where many fine shops are located. Along the way, look out for de Gruchy - a striking building that has been extensively refurbished. Everything is at least 10% off UK prices, so be prepared for some great deals.
Shopping in Jersey
Jersey is VAT-free and has an array of boutique stores and de Gruchy is a department store that really is the jewel in the crown for those looking for the ultimate shopping experience.
From Pateck Philippe to Rolex, Hettich stock some of the world's leading watch brands. They're at the junction of King Street and Halkett Place.
They have a rather good selection of jewellery too, and if you ask you may get to see the craftsmen at work in their studio.
Stroll down Halkett Place to the Central Market. Jersey is proud of its Victorian covered marketplace, with its fountain and stalls selling fresh meat and vegetables. You can get excellent Italian produce, and unusual herbs and spices here too.
Sit outside Ormer and watch the world go by, or ask to eat on their terrace - a real sun-trap hidden behind the restaurant. You can have anything from a full lunch to a light snack.
If you want something lighter still, go next door to Don Street Deli and get delicious home-made scotch eggs and pork pies. Meander over to the Royal Square and make a picnic of it.
Ormer is just off King Street, while Don Street Deli is right next door.
All around St Helier are boutique stores with a wide range of wonderful speciality products. Look out for:
- Mark Howe - flowers in amazing arrangements, and a great gift selection (in West Centre)
- Brummells - men's designer clothing (in Halkett Street)
- Jaeger - clothing sold not only without VAT but - becuase of the store - at significant discounts (in Halkett Street)
- Relish - fabulous cheeses and wines (in Halkett Street)
- Moulton Brown - great skincare products (in Queen Street)
- Plums Lingerie (in Colomberie)
Jersey has some great coffee shops. Try:
- Cooper & Co - select your beans and watch them being ground - you can't get fresher
- Bean Around The World - Jersey's original coffee shop
- Cafe Jac at Jersey Arts Centre - coffee in a relaxed environment
- Dandy - small but very very good
- Big Maggy's Coffee and Bike Store - if you like coffee and bicycles, this is for you
- Jersey Pottery - good coffee, and a great place to people watch