Sizzle with Hand Picked Hotels chefs’ recipes and celebrate UK Sausage Week
Chefs at Jersey’s Hand Picked Hotels have come up with some sizzling recipes to celebrate UK Sausage Week.
Andrew Soddy, Executive Head Chef at the AA Four Red Star L’Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa and Nicolas Valmagna, Executive Chef at the AA Five Star Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa and their culinary teams have been rustling up some of the nation’s favourite meaty morsels.
Andrew’s team have come up with a local twist on the popular savoury pastry snack with their recipe for Jersey Black Butter, sausage and apple rolls.
Jersey Black Butter, sausage and apple rolls
400g sausage meat
80g onions (diced)
80g Bramley apples, finely diced – poached in cider
Salt and pepper
1 roll of puff pastry
2 eggs whisked for glazing
1. Combine sausage meat, apples and sage
2. Add softened onions and salt and pepper then place mix into a piping bag
3. Roll out the puff pastry, coat with the egg
4. Pipe the sausage onto the puff pastry leaving 1 inch from the edge and roll
5. Sprinkle with poppy seeds
6. Bake for 35 mins at 175c
Sausages are older than Ancient Greece or Rome. In fact, sausage making dates to the mid fifteenth-century when it was first introduced as a way of preserving meat. Now it has become an art form with thousands of different sausages made all over the world, including the Far East and South East Asia.
They were nicknamed bangers during the Second World War due to the scarcity of ingredients around at the time which meant they were liable to explode because of their high water content!
Nicolas Valmagna of Grand Jersey has this tip to ensure your bangers won’t burst during cooking, “Cook your sausages slowly under the grill or in a pan on a medium heat. They are likely to burst if you cook them too quickly and make sure you don’t prick them or you will lose the delicious flavour.”
Here’s how you can rustle up Nic’s own recipe for French chipolatas
1.2kg pork belly
1.8kg pork shoulder
1. Mince all the ingredients together
2. Select the size of the sausage you require
3. Stuff a sausage skin with all the minced ingredients
4. Roast in the pan first with olive oil until browned
5. Finish off in the oven for 8 minutes on 160 degrees
UK Sausage Week 2018 runs from 29th October to 4th November.